Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2003


A post from my old Pentium 100 15 MB RAM "made in Canada" computer. Had the ol' dear powered-up to test some videos (WMV) I'd posted. Getting the bit rates low enough to play at 28.8 kilobits per second makes a mess of the video. Audio is a little garbled, but it fares better than video -- good thing, not much use otherwise.

I'll have to see what I can come up with in MOV (QuickTime)) format. I don't own QTPro, but I do have Adobe Premier (came bundled with the Sony VAIO I bought to replace this machine) I've used it's export function to make AVI files, maybe I can get a MOV on ;-)

Connecting at 28.8 Kbps is an exercise I'd recommend for every 'net-based developer. Even if you don't plan to produce content for dialup audiences, it will immediately become apparent where the "kinks" are in your web. Ironing same will go a long way toward reducing overhead on both servers and bandwidth.

No comments: