Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2003


Home from Texas.

Was lucky to be in Houston and not Dallas over the past couple of days. We heard on the Houston local news last night that 10 had died in Dallas. Seven in traffic mishaps and three from hypothermia. People were stranded in their cars on closed freeways -- I'd hoped to provide a link to the story, but any relevant ones I could find were subscription based.

It's snowing in Calgary tonight, but that's to be expected. In fact I'm off to Fernie, B.C. to do some 'boarding and/or skiing over the weekend.

Although I'll remain well within bounds during my visit, I think I'll be off to MEC [I've been a member since 1977. They have what you need when "out of doors"] for probe, shovel and transceiver.

When in the mountains it pays to be prepared for the "unexpected." In fact it may save your life.

I've never been too inclined to push the avalanche risk. I've worked as ski patroller in Ontario and Alberta, but never at areas that required avalanche control. My experience was limited to areas with at least partial snowmaking capabilities and grooming of runs; therefore less risk of slides. Tilled corduroy isn't as likely to slide.

Nonetheless, there are definitely inherent risks in sliding on snow at speed -- groomed or not.

Rumour has it that Fernie's had some snow over the past few days.

I'll be back with a report.

After I get my avalanche gear.

No comments: