Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2004

The learning continues....

Yesterday I learned about "buckle" or "Torus" fractures in children. I had my two of my nieces out snowboarding with me and one fell and broke BOTH of her wrists.

We all had our helmets on and I'd made the mistaken assumption that we all had our wrist guards on as well, but....

See Figure 2 on this page for a picture of a Torus fracture.

The good news, if there is such a thing in such a circumstance, is that these types of fractures heal relatively quickly (the prognosis is for 4 weeks) and that "this is a stable, nondisplaced fracture."

As someone who spent months in a cast at one point as a direct result of not protecting my wrists while snowboarding, I'd also STRONGLY recommend that those out 'boarding WEAR HELMETS AND WRIST GUARDS.

No comments: