Pages

Friday, February 22, 2002

Well, I'm back from Atlanta.

I learned a ton on my trip to Training 2002.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to attend Ruth Clark's session.

At the same time, I got to two of M. David Merrill's sessions and am extremely impressed. I think that Knowledge Objects (KO), as Merrill describes them, are bang on. I want to also say that Merrill is very careful to distinguish between Knowledge Objects and Learning Objects.

NOTE: Ruth Clark's Resuable Learning Object for Cisco is one such example of the latter. Clark based the RLO on Merrill's work. Cisco is currently revising the model for the RLO -- I know this last piece of information because I overheard an employee of Cisco telling Dr. Merrill just that following Wednesday's talk.

If you are a regular reader of this diary you'll know that I've discussed the online teaching of snowboarding. I didn't think that it was possible. Dr. Merrill told us his students have tackled "how to be a baseball shortstop" and "how to bake cookies" as computer-based Instructional Design (ID) academic assignments. I've got until 01 March, 2002 to come up with an assignment topic for CTL 1606.

I hear a question being begged here....

Dr. Merrill's id2 site.

No comments: